Saturday, April 2, 2011

New venture- paper mache

I've done my share of paper mache projects, but I came across one I just couldn't resist. Using paper mache clay to make beads. Just the other day, I was thinking, "What can I do with all this newspaper I have laying around?" I could roll it into beads, but at 1/2" a bead, that could take me years. I could just bring it to the recycling center, but that isn't very creative.

I found this idea while I was messing around on You Tube. Oddly enough, I couldn't find any paper mache clay recipes to my liking, so I just threw together some mushy paper, flour, and glue. Worked like a charm.

I ended up with a bit more clay than I expected. I think I could make about three or four hundred small beads with what I have. I made a few, but the hardest part is waiting for them to dry. I'm just experimenting for now. Acrylic paint, nail polish, trying to figure out which result I like best. I like the colors of my nail polish best, but I don't want to use it all up. There has to be some way of painting with acrylics that will look just as good as the nail polish. I'll be playing around with this one for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment