Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Art of Reuse contest


I recently stumbled upon an art contest I just HAVE to enter. It is the Art of Reuse contest. In this contest, you must create something new, mostly from something used. The grand prize winner gets their item featured on the Today Show. Since I have just started dabbling in paper mache, I figured I would tie that in with my rolled paper beads, and it would be like doubly reusing. A recycled gift bag paired with recycled newspaper- can't beat that combo! Well, you probably can, but I sure like the idea.

I wanted to make some sort of pendant with the paper mache clay, and I wanted it to look uniform. I looked around the house for something I could press it into, and lo and behold, I spied a large clam shell in my bathroom. Perfect! So, I pressed the clay into the shell, and left it to dry for twenty four hours. Then I gave it a few coats of Mod Podge to seal it up and even it out.

I decided to go with a blue theme, and painted the shell and some round paper clay beads accordingly. I used a crackle paint and added a little gold finishing. I had some beading wire laying around, so I figured I would use that instead of cord to link the beads together. After putting it all together, I really like the finished necklace. I'm not expecting to win, but it sure would be great!

If you would like to vote for my piece, go to www.greenisuni.com/reuse on Saturday, April 9th, and go to the "jewelry" category. I've also entered my puzzle piece necklaces. Feel free to vote for either!


No comments:

Post a Comment