Friday, March 18, 2011

Photo professionalism

So, I've started really trying to work on my camera skills. I go on Etsy and see other seller's item photos, and think to myself, "Mine look nothing like that." I know my digital camera has good quality, even if it is just a regular Nikon. It must just be me!

I love taking photos, but that doesn't mean I'm any good at it. I have recently noticed that so many professional looking photos have white backgrounds. I'm hit with a "duh!" moment. Now I find it somewhat humorous that I thought my micro-suede couch served as a good back drop for my jewelry. I'm reminded of the old rule they taught me back in art school: KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid. Once again, duh! This goes for a lot of things when it comes to art and design, but especially for photos of something you are trying to sell. I've forgotten so many things from college, and I'm sure a few of them might have helped me out a bit in this department.

On an Etsy blog, I found a very helpful little article about how to make a simple photo set up with nothing more than a tote, poster board, and a couple clip lights. I think I'm going to head to the store and pick those up right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment